Saturday, October 23, 2010

1,2, or 1.5 languages?

Friend of mine recently told me he admired my ability to switch between languages without notice. He is American. I don’t find switching languages, sometimes mid sentence, to be strange. I am not American.

The interesting thing to me is not the ability to speak more than one language or being able to mix, but that some phrases always are said in your non-native language. Like the word “nice” being adopted in Danish: “Det er for nice” –> “It’s too nice” –> “it’s awesome”.

For a lot of the world that is our current language. A mixed bag. BUt it’s not new. There is a reason there are so many French words in English (magnificent, marvelous)

This Korean pop video illustrates how a lot of us non-Americans think and speak.

2NE1 - CAN'T NOBODY [HD]

No comments:

Post a Comment